1. Gastrofestival: This year, Madrid will celebrate the fourth edition of this food extravaganza which will showcase, the Spanish capital´s taste and flair for local and international gastronomy. More than 300 establishments, from restaurants, cocktail bars and gourmet shops to boutiques and even museums will take part in this culinary affair to interpret and honour gastronomy from the point of view of art, fashion and cinema. Click here to find the complete list of activities and offers for every taste and pocket. Gastrofestival takes place from the 19th January till the 3rd of February.
2. ARCOMadrid: This contemporary art fair will assemble art critics, collectors, gallery directors and historians as well as academics in the arts and culture fields from around the world. There will be roundtable discussions, presentations and forums sharing the latest tendencies and creative paradigms. There will also art experts and commissioners available to advise and assist those interested in investing or simply acquiring pieces of art for their collections at the venue. The guest country invited, this year, is Turkey. For more information, visit ARCOMadrid online. This event takes place from the 13th till the 17th of February 2013.
3. Real Madrid Vs Barcelona: Fresh from the Balon D´ Or Gala that proclaimed Leo Messi a legend after getting his fourth accolade, the Spanish Football League will be returning to business as usual with league matches. In March, maximum rivals Real Madrid and Barcelona will face each other. It is not an exaggeration to say that the country stops when these 2 teams meet. It is no wonder as these teams bring together talent and exciting football that leaves very few indifferent. Note: Tickets are usually exorbitantly high, if not already sold out, so quick action is in order, if interested.
4. Salvador Dalí: The Reina Sofia Museum will host a collection of more than 200 pieces of art by Salvador Dalí. This exposition brings together Dalí´s art pieces from the period of surrealism. These paintings hail from some of the worlds´ top museums like MoMa as well as the museum which boasts the largest collection of the artist outside of Europe, the Salvador Dalí Museum of St. Petersburg in Florida. Additionally, the Philadephia Museum of Art and the local Reina Sofia Museum, contribute to this exposition. The exposition takes place from the 24th of April 2013 till the 2nd September 2013. If you go on Saturdays from 14:30 or Sundays from 10am, entrance is free.
5. Mutua Madrid Open 2013: This year, tennis sensations Roger Federer and Selena Williams, will defend their titles. The tournament is in its 12th year and will run from the 3rd till the 12th of May. Check out these vacation ideas for great accommodation while you visit Madrid to enjoy any of these exciting activities.