St. Patrick’s Day Celebrations
Madrid has plenty of options certain to put a little jig in your step this Saint Patrick’s Day. In the last few years well known monuments like the Plaza de Cibeles Fountain & Puerta Alcala have also joined the celebrations. They normally illuminate green and make Madrid part of the global conmenmoration of the St. Patrick’s Day Celebrations. These city icons are joining other international monuments such as The London Eye, Empire State Building, Table Mountain and Niagara Falls in Ireland’s “green” initiative to promote their country across the world. In Madrid, the Irish Embassy (Paseo de la Castellana 46-4) hosts a variety of events, some for charity, others for the family and of course many in collaboration with Irish bars in Madrid.
There will be many festivities starting today, Monday all the way till Sunday. Here follows the program:
- Monday 12th of March: Open mic night at 21.30h live from James Joyce Pub (Alcalá 59, 28014 – Madrid). Delicious Irish food specials will also be on offer.
- Tuesday 13th of March: Irish singer-songwriter Tommy Sands will hold a concert at 12.00 in the Universidad CEU San Pablo (Facultad de Económicas, Salón de Grados). It is free to the public.
- Wednesday 14th of March: Enjoy a pub quiz at Aula Inglés Agency & English Academy located at La Ciudad Invisible (Costanilla de los Ángeles 7, metro Ópera / Callao / Santo Domingo) from 21.00 to 23.00.
- Thursday 15th of March: Irish folk band Púca Óg (www.pucaog.com/) will be celebrating St. Patrick’s Day with concerts in Escuela Oficial de Idiomas de Vallecas at 19.00
- Friday 16th of March: Irish folk band Púca Óg will be celebrating St. Patrick’s Day with concerts in Escuela Oficial de Idiomas de Jesús Maestro, Madrid, on 16 March at 19.00
- Friday 16th of March: Irish singer-songwriter Tommy Sands will hold a concert on Friday March 16th at 20.00 in Asociación Cultural Sierra Oeste. It is free to the public.
- Saturday 17th of March: A concert by Irish Treble in Sala Galileo Galilei on Saturday 17 March at 21.00. You can get the tickets for this concert from Ticketea here. Irish Tickets available on www.ticketea.com.
- Friday 23rd of March: Irish singer-songwriter Tommy Sands will hold a concert on Friday 23 March at 19.00 in Museo Etnográfico El Caserón. It is free for the public.
- Sunday 18th of March: The annual GAA St. Patrick’s Day Family Fun Day will take place on Sunday 18 March at Parque Deportivo Puerta de Hierro, from 12.00-17.00. Irish Treble will be providing the best of Irish music and dance, and will be organising a workshop to teach everyone how to dance a jig! You can enjoy many more Irish themed events at various Irish bars spread across Madrid.
In particular, The Irish Rover( Av. De Brasil 7) is hosting a concert to pay tribute to the late lead Singer of Cranberries, Dolores O’Riordan. The band Linger.The bar will maintain their tradition of playing the popular songs now converted to hymns, Zombie, Salvation or Dreams. Last but not least, The Colonials,will fly in from Dublin to offer a concert on the 16th and 17th.All these concerts are free of charge.
However you spend this Irish holiday, be sure to be safe and have fun… Sláinte!!