This is a guide of top 10 free kids outdoors activities in Madrid. You will find places where kids can have fun,find playmates and even learn while interacting with the surroundings and nature. All the locations are also easily accessible by public transport.
In Parque Juan Carlos I:
1) Train ride: Parque Juan Carlos I, provides a free train ride for the whole family. The tour route is circular and always the same but the kids enjoy every trip as if it were the first. This is an ongoing activity whose schedule varies depending on the season. The duration of the train ride is 30 minutes.
2) Group Games: Activities will include workshops, trails, games and activities for the whole family or targeted exclusively to children. For registration, call 630 630 710.Note that the registration period is usually 5 weeks before the actual activities and workshops in June.- Family Workshops for children aged 6 to 12 accompanied by adult. Children’s Workshops for children aged 6 to 12 years.
Address: Parque Juan Carlos I (Metro: Campo de las Naciones L8)
- June – September Mondays to Fridays from 18:00 (6:00 PM 12h) to 21:00 (9:00 PM 12h). Weekends and holidays from 09:00 (09:00 AM 12h) to 14:00 (2:00 PM 12h).
- January – March & November – December: Mondays to Fridays from 16:00 (4:00 PM 12h) to 17:30 (5:30 PM 12h). Weekends and holidays from 10:00 (10:00 AM 12h) to 13:30 (1:30 PM 12h).
- April – May & October: Mondays to Fridays from 16:00 (4:00 PM 12h) to 19:30 (7:30 PM 12h). Weekends and holidays from 09:00 (09:00 AM 12h) to 14:00 (2:00 PM 12h)
In Parque de Europa:
3) Monument Visit: The Europa Park has 17 replicas of European monuments and an original piece of the Berlin Wall. There is an explanatory panel with references to the original monument next to each of these reproductions.
4) Playground zone: In the same park there are playgrounds located in the middle of the park. One installation is for children ages 1-5 with slides and bridges, and the other is for children aged between 5 to 12 years, with circuits of more difficulty and a miniature climbing wall.
5) Cybernetic fountain show: The cybernetic fountain show in Parque Europa is one of a kind in the world.The spectacle of light, color and sound is breathtaking for the whole family. Its central water launch can reach up to 50 meters high and the image effects reflected on the water are truly amazing. The show occurs from June 6th till the 28th of September. In the months of June and July: Fridays and Saturdays at 23:00 (11:00 PM 12h) while Sundays at 22:30 (10:30 PM 12h).In the months of August and September at 22:00 (10:00 PM 12h)
Address: Paseo de los Cipreses, s/n, 28850 Torrejón de Ardoz,
- June-September (Summer season):· From Sunday to Thursday and holidays: 10:00 (10:00 AM 12h) to 24:00· Friday, Saturday and before holidays: 10:00 to 1:00 am
- April , May and October (Spring and autumn season): Sunday through Thursday and holidays: 10:00 (10:00 AM 12h) to 22:00 (10:00 PM 12h) Friday, Saturday and before holidays: 10:00 (10:00 AM 12h) to 24:00
- November-March (winter season)· From Sunday to Thursday and holidays: 10:00 (10:00 AM 12h) to 20:00 (8:00 PM 12h) ·Friday, Saturday and before holidays: 10:00 (10:00 AM 12h) to 21:00 (9:00 PM 12h)
At Madrid Río:
6) Madrid Río Playground: There are 17 playgrounds with 65 different elements distributed throughout river bank and parks. The games are especially designed for environmental integration in the environment while providing entertainment and leisure for the children. This ecological cause is re-enforced by the fact that the facilities were made using sustainable and natural material.
7) Madrid Río Watersports: The artificial beach is very popular in summer. It has three oval water enclosures with varying characteristics. One is a sheet surface to lie down and soak water, another consist of water jets that shoot high with variable effects and, finally, a pond with water spray clouds!
8) Urban beach: Apart from the water effects mentioned above, children alike can enjoy the sand, lawns and shades of the trees for picnics or whatever form of spending time together.
9) Madrid Río on wheels: There are several routes and rinks for rollerblading, skateboards, BMX rinks, baby strollers and general cycling. You can either come with your own roller blades and bicycle or hire it there. Note that the weekends are really busy, and hectic to ride with children on the main rinks.
Address: Parque Lineal del Mazanares
Schedule: Any day, anytime…
In Parque del Buen Retiro:
10) Puppet show: This permanent puppet theater occurs almost every Saturday and Sunday. It provides a show in which the visual arts, performance, music and literature come together masterfully. This outdoor stage still commands a loyal following weekend after weekend. In addition, during the summer months, the Titirilandia Festival completes its program with productions of special relevance.
Address: Avenida de México (Parque del Retiro entrada por la Puerta de la Independencia), s/n
Schedule: Saturdays and Sundays
- From January to March and October to December: 12:30 (12:30 AM 12h)
- April, June and September: 18:30 (6:30 PM 12h)
- From July 10 to August 31 (See website)
To discover more free plans for the family and activities for kids in Madrid, get our eBook here.