10 Reasons to Go to an Intercambio
1. Practice your Spanish. As a guiri in Spain, you may be here for only a few months, or you may be here permanently. But either way, you know you should be making the most of your time here by improving your Spanish. Joining a language exchange group is a great way to do this.
2. Hear real accents. Everyone knows that the way voiceover actors speak for language learning listening exercises is not at all like the way real people speak. If you’re tired of textbook Spanish, you’ll enjoy hearing languages as they are really spoken.
3. Learn slang. Formal words can get you only so far in the real world.
4. Meet local friends. If you’ve been here a while but you haven’t met many Madrileños, it might be time to get out of your guiri bubble.
5. Help other people learn your native language. Good karma!
6. Meet people who love to travel. Intercambio enthusiasts are internationally-minded, so you get to hear lots of stories of their travels.
7. Get ideas for your upcoming travels. Are you planning on going anywhere else in Europe while you’re here? Ask a Parisian what the best pastry shops in Paris are, or an Italian what the best pizzerias in Rome are.
8. Learn more about Spain. No guiri wants to live in a bubble. Intercambios are a great way to find out what’s really going on in Spain.
9. Hear about local events and restaurants. You can’t get word-of-mouth recommendations if you don’t talk to locals.
10. They’re free! Perfect for a guiri on a budget.
Find many more tips to make the best out of your time in Madrid with our ebook: 200+ Ways to Save Money in Madrid
Can you think of any more reasons? Leave your comments below!